Saturday, March 24, 2012

Spring Newsletter!!!!!!

IN THIS ISSUEpdates from the    Solmen’sO-OP



ts
THIS MONTH QUOTE:
 “Family is heaven sent from our father above bonded by the power of love
VERSE:
“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance" (James)
Shawna Solmen on FACEBOOK
http://
Updates from the Solmen’s

The weather is such a common topic as it has been such a mild winter and spring seems to have sprung! I think back to when I did our last newsletter; our camp had an open house that weekend it had snowed an entire foot.  As Mike and I were driving there we slid right into a ditch. That was an experience!! What we thought would be a long winter, God had other plans!  Another thing I thought would happened this past phase in our lives didn’t happened as I ended up herniating another disc causing a great deal of suffering the last few months.  Many nights I have been in the valley on the brink of depression. But God’s soft whisper reminded me that sometimes you have to go through the valley to appreciate the beauty of the mountain.
God has truly placed dear, kind, sweet friends in our paths to help prevent that stronghold of helplessness.  “It is its own form of demoralization. If we do not guard ourselves, we can inject a victim mentality right into the vein of our relationship with God.” (Words by Beth Moore) God calls us to be overcomers! Through his guidance and strength, in my most vulnerable times in life is beyond my understanding. Romans 8:37 “In all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us”
CO-OP
Mike and I hosted the High School and Middle School kids out @ Camp for Valentine’s Day, to a pizza/snow tubing party.  It was so nice watching the kids interacting, and having a blast! The kids and I planned a 50’s sock Hop for the entire co-op for Valentine’s Day.  We had a box contest, hula hoop contest, a piñata, an awesome D.j., popcorn, milkshakes and a valentine exchange.  The kids and I worked for weeks preparing for this party.  I organized a “poodle skirt” party for the mothers and daughters to make poodles skits. We made paper Mache music notes, the piñatas, a Juke box, collected records, and then the decorating! All the hard work paid off because we “rocked our shoes off.”  Pictures are on my Facebook. Mike started working with the high school kids. He is teaching woodshop, blueprint reading, and tool safety.  He is working hard at trying to provide opportunities for hands on experiences.  I continue to work with the 3rd-5th graders.  We are learning about the solar system by creating a model.  Each student has been assigned a planet. We tie-dyed shirts to represent their planet’s color and will have a “presentation” with each kid stating 5 facts they have learned about their planet. We are also traveling on a field trip this Tuesday to the STRATEGIC AIR & SPACE MUSEUM, where the kids will learn all about comets, asteroids and meteorites.
Our last day of Co-op classes will be April 26th.  They will have an end of the year program on May 4th, which I will help, organize. will learn all about comets, asteroids and meteorites. “GREAT BALLS OF FIRE“. Your students will learn all about comets, asteroids and meteorites. They’ll be submerged in a cosmic experience where they’ll get to:
Mission Trip
Owen and Kirk will be traveling to Chicago with the youth group on a mission’s trip in July.  They are currently fund raising, as each child is required to raise their own funds for this trip.  The cost is $350.00. They each have raised approximately $100.00.
Blessings
Mike and I are ecstatic to see the changes going on here @ camp.  We can see how God is opening doors.  We are completely humbled by this opportunity.  We continue to ask for many prayers and are blessed by everyone’s support.
We have been blessed with dental care for all of us. I even faced a 17 year fear and went to the dentist as well.  After the work was complete on all of our family members I made the office a big crock pot of chicken and dumplings and salad as a huge Thank-YOU for their generosity and kindness.
EXCITING NEWS!!
Our family will be traveling home for a visit in May!! Mike and I will only be home from May 12-21st, but the kids will be there till the end of May.  My sister will need help with arrangements during the day, as she will have to work.  If anyone would be interested let us know.  I would like to have all the arrangements made prior to our arrival. 
Prayer Requests
I met with a surgeon and he has recommended a steroid injection before he will think of surgery for my back. Their concern right now is the numbness I have been experiencing in my left leg.  He has seen the injections work to where surgery wasn’t needed. Please join with me as we claim that this injection will work. My prayer is healing for my back, so it no longer limits my daily activities. 
Pray in the upcoming weeks as we prepare for summer camp, God will continue to work in our lives; that the preparation and transition to the long hours will be easy. 
Lastly please pray for our health!!
                                  
Thank you and God Bless,
 The SOLMEN’s

No comments:

Post a Comment