Monday, April 9, 2012

OUCH!!!

     I received my injection today to alleviate the pain in my back from my herniated disc!! I am sore from the actual shot however, and will need to take it easy over the next 48 hours.....
I am so hopeful though. I can not wait to return to my daily activities and begin to train for another 5K!!! I had a reminder of how fun life can be when we play!  My back hasn't been such an issue this last week; I found myself, with my family, out to Camp enjoying the land and playing the new game they got for the summer!!!!
(commerical for camp... the game is called 9 square and its AMAZING... SO MUCH FUN)
As eager as I am to fill my daily calendar I'm also aware these last few months have brought much peace and relaxation. It has opened my mind and made me realize that life isn't always about me. I have also wasted a lot of time.  A balance that, I think, we all struggle with on a daily basis. A question that looms in my mind......
 "How often do we take life for granted??"
 We assume we will be given another opportunity, another day, another chance. But this isn't true.  What if your very life was taken from you, or you were in an accident and the things you enjoyed you no longer could do?  What if the second chance you thought you had no longer existed because the chance slipped through your hands? I do not suggest we live in the past filled with bitterness or regret but what I do suggest is that we make every day a day that we simply know in our hearts that if the chance was gone we could and would be happy!  Happiness does not come in being overwhelmed, tired or run-down.  Happiness does not come when we just let life pass us by as if we are on a carousal just going through the motions; as if it is expected from us. What is Happiness???

Happiness is a mental or emotional state of well-being characterized by positive or pleasant emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy.

So, What makes us Happy?  Of course, when I first read that question my first response would be my family, friends, fun, my kids behaving..... etc.etc..  ADD YOUR first response......

The worlds' idea of happiness is money, drugs, alcohol, sex (hey I'm being honest), success, achievements  etc.etc. etc......

You see the things listed are temporary. Although causing great happiness it's only for a time, and doesn't last.  It is not concrete, which leaves a void in our hearts longing for more. The problem is we were created to have a void in our hearts, not to fill it with the worlds temporary contentment or happiness, but to fill it with everlasting joy that comes when we truly love our neighbors and seek out missional living.

True happiness is when we give to others, we serve others, we make ourselves available to LOVE... even when its hard to do or "FIT" into our very busy lives...
True happiness is not SELF-SEEKING ITS SELF-GIVING

Jesus, himself, did not come to be served but to serve others!!

You may ask yourself, "How did this go from talking about how painful your back was to happiness and serving others?" That my friend, is a great question.  As you see, I've had a lot of time to ponder on what true happiness is while feeling the pain in my back. Just as Jesus truly felt true pain as he was beaten and broken for us; all he could do in his time of need was pray for the forgiveness of others. Life isn't about the hustle and bustle of what the world offers. It isn't about filling our calendars to the max with appointments and commitments. It isn't about sports, careers, success or any other thing previously listed as "happiness" At the end of the day none of that matters.  What truly matters is that we allow ourselves to be the "hands and feet" of a God that will give us eternal peace and that is where I found my true happiness.  Regardless of my situation or my condition at the end of the day I want to be able to say "This day wasn't taken for granted, it wasn't misused by filling it with temporary happiness, THIS day was used to bring me great joy, and that my friends brings us great happiness!!!

"The Power of Your Name"
Surely children were not made for the streets
And fathers were not made to leave
Surely this isn't how it should be                    
Let Your kingdom come         
Surely nations were not made for war
Or the broken meant to be ignored
Surely this just can't be what you saw                   
Let Your kingdom come here in my heart        
I will live
To carry Your compassion
 To love a world that's broken                      
To be Your hands and feet        
I will give
With the life that I've been given
And go beyond religion                     
To see the world be changed
the power of Your name
Surely life wasn't made to regret
And the lost were not made to forget
Surely faith without action is dead                   
Let Your kingdom come                 
Lord break this heart
Jesus Your name
is a shelter for the hurting
Is a refuge for the weak
Only Your name
Can redeem the undeserving                    
Jesus Your name       
Holds everything I need

1 comment:

  1. This fits right into what I've been learning about emotions. I'm studying joy right now and true joy always came when people turned to the Lord, put their trust in Him and followed Him wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete