Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Conversations!!

                   

                         CONVERSATIONS

 
 
 
"Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone"   Colossians 4:6
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Have you ever been involved in a conversation that you would have rather not been involved in?
Or, been involved in a conversation that simply turned confrontational?
How about a conversation that you initiated and then felt guilty about the topic or encouraged a person to continue talking about something that simply was not pleasing, uplifting or encouraging to others?
 
Well I HAVE!! The tongue is a small body part and yet one of the hardest things to control.....
I have worked hard at taming my tongue; I want to be encouraging to those around me. I struggled from judging and gossiping. In order to make myself feel more important, I would be quick to talk about others.
Another thing I used to do; which I am not proud of, is talk badly about my husband.  Our friends would sit around and complain about the things our husbands would or would not do and make a mockery of them.  It actually tore down his/their character and quite frankly I would be devastated if I found out he talked that way about me. I would justify it by saying I wasn't the one really talking about him, but I surely would participate in the laughter even though I would deeply feel guilty.
It was complete and utter disrespect.  In just a few short words my tongue had started a fire!!
Yet, another example is the time/times I have been sitting with a group of friends, having a great time.  Suddenly a comment has been made, instead of praying for God to protect the words that come from the mouth, I  quickly respond. Before you know it it is too late. I have laughed and responded to a conversation that was not pleasing to the Lord.
When we do not watch the things we say; it can ruin our testimony, tear down other's character and destroy relationships that have been built. Furthermore, we truly do not want to give anyone a reason to tear our own character down.  The golden rule does really apply.. "do unto others as you would have done to you" or any other words "say unto others as you would want said about you!!"
 
 
Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

James 1:26 - If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless.

James 3:5-8 - Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things. See how great a forest a little fire kindles! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment