Monday, October 21, 2013

Eye Opener


The other day I had the privilege to help a friend with a fundraiser.  Part of that was to host a corn hole tournament (which we love playing!) I have always looked at this event as a fun event... We ended up having 12 teams play which was nice! I spent a lot of time researching "official" rules, making brackets, organizing the boys to build new boards, asked another friend to make new bags all in preparation for this event.
The day came and the weather was beautiful! We used a tape measure to get an accurate count for the official space apart for each board making sure the event was as fair as could be; since there was cash prize involved. The event started late and chaotic but with determination we got it back on track! Everything was great.... until, a team started feeling as if we "rigged" the event.. Negative Comments started spreading like wild fire. My first reaction was to ignore the behavior, but it continued.  Both of my close friends went through this with me as they were hearing the comments as well.  My emotions were going on a wild roller coaster, my main goal was to ignore the behavior so that the event would remain a positive event.  The comments belittled me and tore my character as they were directed towards the "organizer"  It ended that my husband and oldest son won the tournament!!  At first I gloated, boasted and wanted to do a victory dance... GOOD Prevails over EVIL... But the more I thought about it, I couldn't let it go.

How could they question MY character?
How could they spread negative comments about something I view as such a positive event?
How could I let them effect me so much?
How could they ruin MY event?

As I pondered on all these questions... I experienced an eye opener! First and most important NONE of this was MINE.. I had selfishly claimed the event as mine because of the work I invested in it.. But who was I doing this for? I was working unto the Lord, therefore the comments were not intended for me but to show others how to handle Gods love in a situation that wasn't easy.  I have gotten so comfortable surrounded by those who share my faith. We are called to be the light to the world even if that means a game!  It is easy to love the lovable... But how do you love the unlovable???

In the book "40 Days of Community" by Rick Warren
He reminds us about the five purposes that we are placed on earth in his book "The purpose Driven Love" is the following:
*worship
*fellowship
*discipleship
*ministry
*evangelism
But did you know that this purpose is not meant to be lived alone?
So how do we fulfill the purposes for each of our lives?
First by deepening the community of love and second reaching out in love (R.W)

Love is a choice... Real love takes knowledge, God's grace and lots of practice!! (R.W) I did not exercise this love during the tournament. Life is about learning to love!

God's love FOR us gives us the reason to love others (R.W)
God's love In us gives us the ability to love others (R.W)
God's love THROUGH us gives us the way to love others (R.W)

I had felt like a complete failure. I had missed a chance to show God's love through this situation!!

In fact, all the while there was a storm raging within me on the home front as well...  I was feeling attacked in all directions. (NEXT BLOG)

Kay Arthur had this on her status
"Has there ever been a time in your life when your disappointment in your circumstances or personal relationships caused you to go into an emotional tailspin? Have you ever felt you might drown in discouragement?

Have you ever fallen into a well of depression and in that well found yourself in such a state of despair that you were so demoralized you couldn't even figure out how to climb out of                  
your prison—or even try?

Once you come out of the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of God, then whether you want it or not it’s war—warfare with the prince of this world! And though you can’t be snatched from the Father’s hand, Satan will do everything to keep you from being effective in your walk with the Lord!

Don’t lose focus!!! Remember you are an overcomer!!

“For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.” - 1 John 5:4"
 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment