Sunday, January 5, 2014

My word for the Year is......

Last year I started participating with those who choose a word for the year and reflect on it through out the year and try to work on that specific thing throughout the year.  Instead of a resolution it's a reflection.  Last year (2013) my word was:




I wanted to work on renewing different aspects of my life such as mentally, emotionally, physically, and relationally (if that is a word??)... Of course I got my inspiration while reading Rick Warrens "40 Days of Love" I will share with you what HE said:

The Five Renewals

Personal ∙ Relational ∙ Missional ∙ Structural ∙ Cultural
based on talks by Rick Warren


Personal Renewel

The first renewal is personal renewal; it starts inside the heart of the leader. We cannot take people further than we have been ourselves. We cannot expect other people to be more committed to Jesus that we are. We cannot expect other people to grow or sacrifice unless we are willing to continue growing and sacrificing. We cannot expect other people to change if we are unwilling to change ourselves. We must model this in our leadership. Personal renewal is basically when I get my life right with God. It's when my heart warms up to Jesus, and I become more aware of the presence of Christ and the filling of the Holy Spirit in my life. Jesus said, "Lay down your life for the sheep if you want to be a good shepherd." He said, "Whoever wants to be great must become a servant" (Mark 10:43 MSG) Here's the problem in ministry. We often start our ministry in order to serve others. But, as time goes by, we fall for the great temptation of ministry and all of a sudden we want people to serve us instead of us serving them. Service to others gets reversed to "serve me."

Relational Renewal

The second renewal is relational renewal; it is renewal between us and other people. First you get your heart right with God and then you get your heart right with other people. The first two renewals are simply the Great Commandment of Jesus. When Jesus was asked what is the most important commandment in the Bible, he said this, "First, love God with all your heart" (that's personal renewal), "then love your neighbor as yourself" (that's relational renewal).

Missional Renewal

The third renewal is missional renewal or "purpose renewal." This stage of renewal has to do with "purpose." In missional renewal our church realizes that we are not here for ourselves; we're here for a purpose. God has a job for us to do. We have a mission, an objective; we have some work to accomplish.


As the year played out I quickly learned that part of experiencing a renewal in these areas of my life I was going to also learn the word OVERCOMER... As God stripped me of the problems in each of these areas; it became increasingly harder to deal with.  My focus became more about overcoming rather than renewing.. But as I reflect back on my growth this last year, here is what I realized.  In order to go deeper with Christ on a personal level, relational level or even in a missional level; I needed to get to a place where I was broken.  He weeded out the toxic friendships that I was dependent on, he allowed me to experience betrayal, loss & growing pains so that I may experience a closeness or a deeper level of HIM.  He showed, and continues to show, me how to love the unlovable, and continues to show me what my purpose is.     This year I decided that my word will be:



 

 I struggle to find a balance with my addictive personality.  Saying yes is more common than saying no.. Juggling as many activities as I can seems to be more of an adrenalin rush than what it should be creating much stress.  Being pulled from one direction to another is common. Having fun is way more pleasurable than doing work.  Social media is more attractive than reading a book (most times) Being lazy is weird to me, and simplicity Is much wanted and needed but hard to grasp at times.  Many times than not I feel my life is out of control due to the load I want to carry vs the load I need to carry!!
 
Here's a great article I found that I will be challenging myself with as I work on a Balance life in 2014!!!!!
 
 
 10 simple ways to find Balance
Turn it off – Disconnect on the weekend. I hear the excuses already, but try it, at least for one day or even a few hours each night. Put the phone down and turn off the computer. Give your work brain a rest. Bonus: Spend the extra time actually interacting with your family and friends!
 *Trim, trim, trim – It’s a given that if your life is overflowing you will never be able to achieve balance and manage it all. It’s just not possible. Say no to everything that is either not essential or doesn’t add something valuable to your life.
*Pay attention to your health – We hear this over and over again, but usually only give it lip service. We know what we need to do, but it isn’t a priority until we have a health crisis. Our health really does affect the quality of our lives and our work. We are far more productive and happier when we get enough sleep, eat a little healthier and fit in some type of activity.
  • Minimize toxins– By that I don’t mean chemicals (though that might help too.) Minimize the negative influences around you. Avoid toxic people (complainers, whiners, poor attitudes.) If you can’t completely avoid them, at least minimize contact and tune them out as much as you can. Surround yourself with positive, supportive, can-do people whenever possible
  • Spend time alone – Making time for you is probably the hardest thing to do for the typical overworked and overwhelmed person, but it is crucial for lowering stress, increasing happiness and encouraging creativity. Some things to try; meditate, write, sketch, do some yoga or simply sit quietly for a few minutes each day and do absolutely nothing. You can do it!
  • Relationships do matter – Set aside quality time with your family and friends. Don’t just sit in front of the television, really connect and pay attention to those you care about. Make a date with your significant other, have coffee with a friend, play a game with a child. Really get to know the people around you.
  • Treat yourself– Get a pedicure or a facial. Better yet, schedule a massage. It doesn’t need to be costly; a glass of wine, your favorite coffee or tea, a delightfully scented candle or beautiful flowers will make a huge impact.
  • Explore the world - Take a walk and pay attention to what’s going on around you. Take a new route, visit a new town or try being a tourist in your own. Attend a local performance, play amateur photographer or go to the park and watch children play. They really know how to enjoy life!
  • Expand your awareness – Take a class, learn to paint or try something new that you’ve always wanted to learn. Read a book that sparks your interest or try listening to uplifting music. Find what interests you.
  • Remember fun – Laugh, joke, play, find your sense of humor, subscribe to a daily joke or get a tear-off calendar. Nothing makes the feel better as fast as a good old-fashioned belly laugh.
  •  
     

    Some personal goals that I would like to achieve with finding a balance in 2014 are:
    ~Less social media (face book and texting) more reading
    ~More family time (we've allowed TV to rob us of our time, which up until the last year or two is the reason we did not do much TV at all!!)
    ~Balancing my time
    ~Balancing my activities (putting work for ex. grading papers first over play) *GULP*
    ~Balancing my priorities
    ~Balancing my focus, centered on Christ


                        

     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment